Monday, October 4, 2010

Making Do Monday - FREE PATTERN - Cozy Hat

I make hats...it's good for my marriage!

???

Yep, that's right. It's better than counseling, because it prevents us from needing couseling.

???

Ok - maybe I should explain.

I'm a control freak. Especially when it comes to driving. My husband is a terrific driver. He's safe; he's responsible; he's reliable; he's aware...you know, all those things you are supposed to be when you are behind the wheel. HOWEVER, the rest of the world...not so much! It seems that lane lines have become optional, speed limits are mere suggestions, and common courtesy is out-dated. Glance in any window on the interstate and you can pretty much guarantee that the driver is talking on the phone, texting, or checking their email. I think my life is shortened by one year every time I am on a highway!
So how does this relate to hats???

I make them. In the car. While my husband drives.

I can happily crochet, still carry on a conversation, and never have the opportunity to glance up and see the swerving vehicles, drifting tractor trailers, and teeny-tiny little lanes through the construction zones. I used to try to read, but every time I wanted to talk to my husband I looked up...not good! I tried just talking about really riveting things, but then I could still see everything that is going on...not good! I've occassionally tried to sew, but bumps result in finger pricks, then my eyes wander, and well...you get the picture.

Then one day I brought some yarn along on a trip, and before I knew it we were there. I hadn't gasped, gripped the mercy bar, or hissed, "They're stopping!" at my husband even one time. He was smiling; I was smiling; We were happy! It was a minor miracle!
So now...I make hats.

And in honor of the month of October and the return of cool weather I'm sharing my SUPER-SIMPLE Cozy Hat pattern. This pattern is easily adjustable from newborn to adult. You will need basic crochet knowledge, but I mean BASIC. And if you've never crocheted, but still want a hat...let me know. I have LOTS of them. One for every ride I've taken in the last 6 months:) Did I mention that we recently purchased some land in the mountains??? It's only going to get WORSE!

And how, might you ask, is this a Making Do Monday project? Well, each one of these takes about half a skein of yarn (even less for the newborn hat), so it's a great way to use up bits and pieces of yarn that are left over from other projects.

Cozy Hat Pattern:
You will need - 1 skein of medium weight yarn (a 4 or 5 weight will work), crochet hook (H)
Size - Pattern is written for an adult. Stitch count changes are in parentheses for 0-6 months, 6-12 months, and 2-6 years respectively.
Row 1: Chain 24(13, 16, 21).
Row 2: Skip chain stitch and single crochet in BACK LOOPS of each stitch, 23 (12, 15, 20) stitches in all. Chain 1.
Rows 3+: Repeat Row 2 until piece measures approximately 20 (13, 15, 18) inches (. BE SURE TO STITCH AN EVEN NUMBER OF ROWS!
Last Row: Fold hat right sides together and match up end rows. Skip chain stitch and single crochet in each pair of stitches (pass hook through loops of both ends of piece with each stitch). 23 (13, 15, 18) stitches.
Tie off. Clip yarn leaving long tail (25+" long).
Weave tail around circumference of hat. Pull tightly to gather top of hat. Tie off and clip strings. Turn hat right side out and fold up edge if desired.
DONE!

4 comments:

  1. Love the hats and love the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love them, I really need to learn to crochet. Any good tutorials/videos you've seen to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned to knit using the videos on the Lion Brand website. They have crochet videos too. There's a link in the column on the right:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, seems like a great fall/winter activity while we watch football. I think I'm like you in that I have a hard time sitting still without working on something!

    ReplyDelete